The E Visa

The E-2 Visa is often called the “Investor’s Visa” because it permits foreign national business people to purchase, develop, and direct a business here in the United States.

First of all you must have an investment or be in the process of investing “at risk” funds.This means that the funds you invest must be your unsecured personal business capital or capital secured by mortgage assets.The investment must be an active investment as opposed to a passive investment.The operation of a business is considered active investment.The amount of the investment depends on the type of Business you wish to purchase and operate.The U.S. Department of State uses the “relative/proportionality test” for defining investment.This means that:

  • The amount of qualifying funds invested weighted against the total cost of purchasing or creating the business;
  • The amount normally considered sufficient to ensure the investor’s financial commitment to the successful operation of the enterprise; and
  • A magnitude of investment to support the likelihood that the investor will successfully develop and direct the enterprise.

The investor must manage and direct the business.

The spouse and children of the E-2 visa beneficiary can accompany the beneficiary to the United States.The spouse is eligible to apply for work authorization and legally work while the beneficiary maintains E-2 status.

If you are interested in investing in the St. Petersburg/Tampa area a good place to start are the local area chamber of commerce: